Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Here I come, Pemba


It has been quite awhile, but I’m finally up to blogging again. I was terminated from the Peace Corps on April 28, 2013 for medical purposes. The doctors still never found anything wrong with me except Giardia (that I had for almost a year by the time I finished treatment) and my elevated liver function tests which could have been caused from taking the anti-malarial pills or it is an indicator for a viral infection. The working theory is this: I developed Giardia in August 2012. My body continually got more and more run down. Two-thirds of your immune system is supposedly in your small intestine. In February 2013 I most likely developed viral meningitis, which usually takes a few weeks for your body to naturally fight off. Instead, it took me about 4 months because of my compromised immune system. I have been headache-free since the beginning of June. I’m still having some GI issues that may be related to thyroid or gluten intolerance. Compared to the pains of Giardia though I feel 110%.

This summer I worked up near Yosemite at Saddlebag Lake Resort. It was a nice relaxing time surrounded by many lakes and mountains. Surprisingly being at 10,000 ft elevation had no effect on my health. Our summer ended early due to the Rim Fire and the owner’s health, so I returned home on Labor Day to begin my job search.

My goal was to have a job by October 1st. I had applied to a job in Oregon that I was anxiously waiting for a call back. Then on Friday I was online and saw a posting from Swahili Divers mentioning a job opening at the Kervan Saray Lodge. When I was in Tanzania I had gotten my SCUBA certification done through Swahili Divers and absolutely loved the lodge and overall atmosphere. So guess what?! I’m the Assistant Manager for the lodge!

I leave on Sunday the 15th to move back to Tanzania! The job only goes until the end of April, so I will return to American on May 1, 2014. I will be living on the island of Pemba, at the very North end. It will be quite different from how I was living previously. There is a generator for power, hot running water, bottled water to drink, 3 prepared meals every day, unlimited SCUBA diving, my bungalow is about 200 yards from the Indian Ocean, there are 5 white staff members, there are nearby ex-pats and 3 Peace Corps Volunteers on the island, YET if I want to I can still wander out of the resort area and mingle with the villagers.

I am so excited for this amazing opportunity. I feel like maybe getting sick wasn’t so bad for me if it opened up this opportunity. I will update my contact information as soon as I get there.

Thank you all for all of your concern and support throughout this journey!

P.S. Here is a link to where I will be working.

1 comment:

  1. Just went on pctanzania.org today to see you are still on the blogroll! So happy for you, my friend. And I'm glad I wasn't entirely wrong in the comment I posted on your previous entry. It wasn't exactly the "good story" I was envisioning at the time, but perhaps that's what makes it all the more spectacular; despite all the health stuff, and the end of your Peace Corps service, you're back in Tanzania! Mungu akubariki during this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete